Most Active Stories
- Missouri Creates Unique Medical Classification: Assistant Physician
- What Would A Sprint, T-Mobile Merger Mean For Kansas City?
- Food Critics: Where To Find The Best Slice Of Pizza In Kansas City
- Food Critics: The Best Happy Hour In Kansas City
- Here's What You Need To Know About KCPS-Academie Lafayette Plan
Fri June 5, 2009
SIKENOMICS: Digging in the Image Crates
Phil Shafer's latest t-shirt designs are influenced by hip hop graffiti. This coming Friday, his Sikenomics designs will be showcased at the shop Spool in the Crossroads.
By Alex Smith
Kansas City, MO – If you ask around Kansas City about Sike, you're likely to get some very different responses, depending on who you ask. To hip hop fans, he's a DJ and promoter. To visual artists, he's a printmaker. Other people know him as a t-shirt designer for his own company, Sikenomics. For Phil Shafer, aka Sike, these are all just different branches that can be traced back to a single root. And that's his love of hip hop culture. Sike recently told Alex Smith how it all began.