Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Thu March 29, 2012
School District Meets With Council Group
President of the Kansas City school board and interim superintendent Steve Green went to the city council Neighborhoods Committee Wednesday with a plan for restoring accreditation to the Kansas City district.
School board president Airick Leonard West told a council committee that the focus is on consistency, supporting good teachers and motivating students through their interests.
"It doesn't sound like the kind of... song and dance." he said, "where, “here's this great little program that we've got and all these consultants for.” That's been tried and that's not transformative."
West says a mistake he and other board members made in the past was looking for a “superman” superintendent with a brilliant new idea. New ideas, he said, come and go.
Dr. Green said a major community involvement focus for the district will be early childhood education.