Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- KCUR Announces New Host For Daily Talk Show 'Central Standard'
Wed August 9, 2006
Sanders Wins County Executive Race
By Maria Carter
Kansas City, MO – The race for Jackson County Executive lasted late into the night with County Prosecutor Mike Sanders accepting the Democratic nomination. His opponent, State Senator Charles Wheeler, says he will wait for final election results before conceding defeat. KCUR's Maria Carter reports.
- - - - -
More than 100 people gathered at the Beaumont Club in Westport to cheer on Mike Sanders and wait for election results. And wait they did. Polls closed at 7 but snafus getting tallies from electronic voting machines delayed the results. With numbers still rolling in from Kansas City precincts and Charles Wheeler still holding out hope for a come from behind win, Sanders finally took the stage after 11, proclaiming victory for his campaign and the county.
Mike Sanders: "This is a victory Jackson County, but additionally, this is a victory for change for Jackson County."
Sanders says part of that change will be bringing more openness and transparency to how county government operates. Sanders is the strong favorite to win the November general election against Republican Bob Gough. Wheeler, who refused to concede defeat, is calling for an investigation into what he calls voting irregularities.