Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon September 19, 2005
Russell Simmons' Hip Hop Summit Action Network
Hip hop entrepreneur Russell Simmons talks about financial responsibility at last week's Hip Hop Summit Action Network.
By Delores Jones
Kansas City, MO – Since 2001, the Hip Hop Summit Action Network has been trying to trying to harness the energy of hip hop fans behind political movements. But mainstream hip hop sometimes promotes values that have little to do with political action, and even less about responsible personal finance. The Hip Hop Summit Action Network stopped in Kansas City last week for a program on financial empowerment for young people. Chairman Russell Simmons founded the Def Jam Record label that represents many top acts in rap and hip hop. KCUR's Delores Jones spoke to Simmons before he gave his speech last Friday at Bartle Hall.