Most Active Stories
- Here Are The Prophetic Lyrics To Viral 'Royals' Parody Song
- How The Royals Chose Between Two Of The Coolest Songs Ever
- The Story Behind The 'Royal' Newspaper Every Kansas Citian Will Save
- For Kansas City Veteran And Singer, 'God Bless America' Stirs Up Pride In City, Country
- Rethinking How To Assess Public Transit Needs
Tue August 12, 2014
Royals Claim First Place In AL Central After 3-2 Win
The Kansas City Royals took over first place in the American League Central and lead Detroit by a half-game.
They defeated the Oakland Athletics, 3-2, Monday night for their eighth win in a row.
Before Royals closer Greg Holland nailed down the game’s final out, the final score of the Tigers game flashed on the outfield wall scoreboard: Pittsburgh 11, Detroit 6.
Then Royals centerfielder Jarrod Dyson used his lightning speed to flag down a fly ball for the final out. To mark the moment, Dyson did a backflip.
“I just had to do something for the crowd and for the boys,” said Dyson while referring to his teammates.
On July 21, the Royals were eight games out of first, but Royals slugger Billy Butler, who’s had his own batting struggles this season, said the team savored the moment.
“We’re out there playing and we’re out there having fun,” said Butler. “We’re having a blast. It’s been a grind.”
Before the game, the Royals announced the pickup of Josh Willingham from the Minnesota Twins, another hitter capable of hitting homeruns.