Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Contentious Views Dominate Female Bishop's Tenure
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
Mon July 8, 2013
Royals And Sporting Players Selected As All-Stars
It was a big weekend for All-Star announcements in Kansas City. Both the Kansas City Royals and Sporting KC had multiple players named to their respective league’s All-Star teams.
Outfielder Alex Gordon of the Kansas City Royals wasn’t on the American League team last year, but he was there when the cheers for his teammate Billy Butler drowned out the introduction.
“I don’t cry at all, but I actually cried when I saw Bill get announced and all the support he got,” says Gordon.
Gordon says playing with Butler for the past six years has been special.
“It’s an honor to be in his shoes now and represent Kansas City,” says Gordon.
Gordon will be joined by catcher Salvador Perez. It’s the first time the Royals are sending two players to the All Star game since 2003.
In Major League Soccer, Sporting Kansas City will have three reps voted in by the fans at the upcoming All-Star game--Matt Besler, Aurelien Collin, and Graham Zusi.
The MLS All-Star game will be played on July 31 at Sporting Park in Kansas City, Kan.