Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Mon October 26, 2009
Rally For Renewable Energy In Lawrence
Lawrence, KS – Environmental activists rallied in Lawrence over the weekend in support of renewable energy. The event was held Saturday, near Westar Energy's coal-fired power plant but was then moved downtown. One of the organizers, Jodi Jakylovich with the group Greenpeace -- said she hoped the rally would raise awareness about alternative energy.
Jakylovich: We chose Westar, obviously it's right in our backyard and coal is not clean no matter what they say. Kansas has the ability to get clean and renewable resources.
The rally was part of an international day of activism, coordinated by the group 350. an organization that promotes awareness of climate change.
Jakylovich: It's actually a global movement that's going on today. There's over 4,000 different events happening all over the world.
Organizers said they hoped to influence political leaders in advance of the United Nations Climate Change Conference, which will take place in Copenhagen, Denmark this December.