Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon October 26, 2009
Rally For Renewable Energy In Lawrence
Lawrence, KS – Environmental activists rallied in Lawrence over the weekend in support of renewable energy. The event was held Saturday, near Westar Energy's coal-fired power plant but was then moved downtown. One of the organizers, Jodi Jakylovich with the group Greenpeace -- said she hoped the rally would raise awareness about alternative energy.
Jakylovich: We chose Westar, obviously it's right in our backyard and coal is not clean no matter what they say. Kansas has the ability to get clean and renewable resources.
The rally was part of an international day of activism, coordinated by the group 350. an organization that promotes awareness of climate change.
Jakylovich: It's actually a global movement that's going on today. There's over 4,000 different events happening all over the world.
Organizers said they hoped to influence political leaders in advance of the United Nations Climate Change Conference, which will take place in Copenhagen, Denmark this December.