Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Wed September 4, 2013
Prairie Village Council Rejects Mission Chateau Proposal
The controversial Mission Chateau project failed to win approval by the Prairie Village City Council in a meeting that lasted until 1 a.m. Monday.
The Prairie Village Planning Commission had recommended a special permit for the proposed senior living community at the site of the former Mission Valley Middle School.
Prairie Village Mayor Ron Shaffer says Mission Chateau stirred community sentiments because of strong feelings about the middle school
“All of a sudden they’re without that living, breathing building that was a source of pride for the neighborhood,” says Shaffer. “Now here we have another entity coming in that is not anything they’re used to, and they’re quite concerned.”
Neighbors in the area worried the more than 300 unit project would affect the residential nature of the area. A group of property owners filed a protest petition for the project, requiring a super majority for approval.
The project failed, getting only 7 of 13 votes instead of the needed 10 votes.
Up to Date
Up to Date