Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Contentious Views Dominate Female Bishop's Tenure
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
Tue January 22, 2013
Poets Off The Page
This edition of New Letters on the Air features very different approaches to intertwining poetry and music, resulting in equally different performances.
The compilation includes work by current Missouri Poet Laureate William Trowbridge with musician Bob Walkenhorst in their presentation of Ship of Fool: The Musical. Tony Barnstone talks about revising his poetry to set with music by the folk duo Genuine Brandish called Tokyo's Burning: World War II Songs. Anika Paris, the author of Making Your Mark in Music, won a 2012 Hola Award for the musical drama, Temple of the Souls. She discusses the differences between writing poetry and crafting lyrics and shares a little of her pop music as well.
Listen here until January 30, 2013.
New Letters on the Air, public radio's longest-running literary program, is a half-hour program that is produced by New Letters magazine at the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
New Letters on the Air