Most Active Stories
- Missouri Creates Unique Medical Classification: Assistant Physician
- Food Critics: Where To Find The Best Slice Of Pizza In Kansas City
- What Would A Sprint, T-Mobile Merger Mean For Kansas City?
- Food Critics: The Best Happy Hour In Kansas City
- Here's What You Need To Know About KCPS-Academie Lafayette Plan
Mon October 27, 2008
People's Liberation Big Band of Greater Kansas City
The People's Liberation Big Band of Greater Kansas City got its start two years ago. That's when an all-star group of local jazz composers decided to do their own radical take on Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker." The mix of folk, popular and avant garde styles turned out to be so much fun that the musicians decided to stick together.
By Alex Smith
Kansas City, MO – They now perform a regular gig every first Sunday at the Record Bar in Westport. With so many musical minds in one group, the People's Liberation Big Band might be mess. But as leader Brad Cox explained to KCUR's Alex Smith, it's the philosophy of a musical collective that makes it work.