Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- KCUR Announces New Host For Daily Talk Show 'Central Standard'
Mon October 27, 2008
People's Liberation Big Band of Greater Kansas City
The People's Liberation Big Band of Greater Kansas City got its start two years ago. That's when an all-star group of local jazz composers decided to do their own radical take on Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker." The mix of folk, popular and avant garde styles turned out to be so much fun that the musicians decided to stick together.
By Alex Smith
Kansas City, MO – They now perform a regular gig every first Sunday at the Record Bar in Westport. With so many musical minds in one group, the People's Liberation Big Band might be mess. But as leader Brad Cox explained to KCUR's Alex Smith, it's the philosophy of a musical collective that makes it work.