Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon October 27, 2008
People's Liberation Big Band of Greater Kansas City
The People's Liberation Big Band of Greater Kansas City got its start two years ago. That's when an all-star group of local jazz composers decided to do their own radical take on Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker." The mix of folk, popular and avant garde styles turned out to be so much fun that the musicians decided to stick together.
By Alex Smith
Kansas City, MO – They now perform a regular gig every first Sunday at the Record Bar in Westport. With so many musical minds in one group, the People's Liberation Big Band might be mess. But as leader Brad Cox explained to KCUR's Alex Smith, it's the philosophy of a musical collective that makes it work.