Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Tue March 5, 2013
Parenting Our Parents
For most of a child's life, from infancy and into adulthood, parents take care of, support and help their children make decisions. It's an odd experience though when the parents gets elderly and the child has to step in as caregiver. On this Central Standard, we look at how the family dynamic changes when parents can't take care of themselves and how to approach the situation from an emotional and logistical point of view.
Our guests are Deborah Smith from the Department of Sociology at UMKC, Samantha Shepherd of Shepherd Elder Law Group and Dr. Jon Dedon, the Program Director of Lakewood Geriatrics. They discuss how to handle conflicts between siblings dealing with an aging parent, and how to make the process of managing assets less complicated.