Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Wed October 24, 2007
Pandemic Flu Readiness Audit
By Kelley Weiss
Kansas City, MO – The Kansas City Missouri's Auditor's Office released a report about how well the city would respond to a pandemic flu outbreak - it's part of a national government study of emergency preparedness. KCUR's Kelley Weiss has more details.
- - - - -
report compiled answers from city staff about Kansas City's plans - it shows regional outlines for sharing resources and education campaigns in place on how to get ready. But, the majority of families do not have the recommended two-week food, water and medicine supply stockpiles, in fact, only about 15 percent have a three-day supply. The study emphasizes that residents must be prepared and should not rely solely on the government - it estimates that a severe outbreak could cause almost half of Kansas City employees to miss work.
Funding for health care coverage on KCUR has been provided by the Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City.
Download recent health stories or subscribe to the KCUR Health Podcast