Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon February 10, 2014
Olympic Dreams In Kansas City: Where To Speed Skate
Speed skating is ice skating that falls into two basic categories — long track and short track. Long track races takes places on a 400m long oval rink with skaters competing in pairs. Short track involves four to six skaters on a track about a fourth that size.
Kansas City doesn’t have an Olympic sized rink for even short track, but a hockey rink will work.
Where to go:
Line Creek Community Center, 5940 NW Waukomis Dr, Kansas City, Mo. 64151
Phone: (816) 505-2423
It's $11 for a one hour skating session. Skates start at $200 to buy but can be rented for $2.
What to wear: Speed ice skates, a helmet, protective gear such as knee pads and shin guards, and comfortable clothes or a tight-fitting spandex suit.
Basic ice skating skills. You must know how to crossover to make turns.
If you are a beginner, falling is likely. Even seasoned pros will take a spill on occasion. Using protective gear will help limit the impact.
Who can help:
Kansas City Speed Skating Club
Find our entire series on living the Olympic dream in Kansas City at kcur.org/olympicdreams.