Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Mon February 10, 2014
Olympic Dreams In Kansas City: Figure Skating And Ice Dancing
Figure skating and ice dancing are the two Winter Olympic sports that combine sport with art. The choreographed performances show not only elite skill and athleticism, but also artistry and emotion.
Practiced inside on a standard sized rink, figure skating is a sport that is easily practiced in the Kansas City area.
Where to go:
Kansas City Ice Center or Line Creek Ice Center for more traditional figure skating and lessons. Or, if you just want to try your luck on the ice as a beginner, you can start learning during the winter months at seasonal rinks like Crown Center Ice Terrace.
$7-$15 daily fee or $50-$150 for a yearly membership
Equipment rentals: $3-$15
What to wear:
Comfortable, tight-fitting clothes that will allow you to move freely without getting caught in skates.
For beginners, lessons might help establish a basic skill set.
Falling is inevitable, and even Olympic athletes fall often. Stay within your skill set to minimize injury.
Find our entire series on living the Olympic dream in Kansas City at kcur.org/olympicdreams.