Most Active Stories
- LISTEN: How Kansas City Barbecue Became Famous, Explained In 90 Seconds
- How The Royals Chose Between Two Of The Coolest Songs Ever
- Here Are The Prophetic Lyrics To Viral 'Royals' Parody Song
- Listen To The Staff At WYPR In Baltimore Congratulate The Royals
- Four Playoff Teams, One Kansas City Firm: Populous Rules The Ballparks
Mon February 10, 2014
Olympic Dreams In Kansas City: Figure Skating And Ice Dancing
Figure skating and ice dancing are the two Winter Olympic sports that combine sport with art. The choreographed performances show not only elite skill and athleticism, but also artistry and emotion.
Practiced inside on a standard sized rink, figure skating is a sport that is easily practiced in the Kansas City area.
Where to go:
Kansas City Ice Center or Line Creek Ice Center for more traditional figure skating and lessons. Or, if you just want to try your luck on the ice as a beginner, you can start learning during the winter months at seasonal rinks like Crown Center Ice Terrace.
$7-$15 daily fee or $50-$150 for a yearly membership
Equipment rentals: $3-$15
What to wear:
Comfortable, tight-fitting clothes that will allow you to move freely without getting caught in skates.
For beginners, lessons might help establish a basic skill set.
Falling is inevitable, and even Olympic athletes fall often. Stay within your skill set to minimize injury.
Find our entire series on living the Olympic dream in Kansas City at kcur.org/olympicdreams.