Most Active Stories
- Portraits And Party Scenes From Kansas City's Drag Ball Culture Revealed
- Blue Valley High Lost A 'Star In The Making'
- Music In The '90s: Was There A 'KC Sound'?
- Preschool Trauma Program In Kansas City Getting National Attention
- Kansas City Grocer's Hand-Painted Signs Are A Lost Art In The Modern Age
Mon February 10, 2014
Olympic Dreams In Kansas City: Downhill Skiing Or Snowboarding
Alpine skiing is the most commonly practiced Winter Olympic sport. But, as Midwesterners our "alpine" options leave much to be desired. Still, if you want to feel the air through your hair as you barrel down a mountain on skis or a snowboard, we have some options. The mountain just won't be quite be the size of those found in Sochi.
Where to go:
Snow Creek Park, Weston, Mo.
Adult lift ticket: $43
Child lift ticket: $28
Equipment rentals: $10-$25
What to wear:
Waterproof clothing, like ski pants and a jacket. Helmet and goggles or sunglasses. Gloves and warm socks.
For beginners, lessons might help establish a basic skill set.
A helmet is recommended, especially for children or beginners. Stay on runs that are suited to your skill level to avoid unnecessary injury.
Who can help:
Kansas City Ski Club
Find our entire series on living the Olympic dream in Kansas City at kcur.org/olympicdreams.