Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Wed June 11, 2008
North Kansas City Passes Smoking Ban
By Elana Gordon
North Kansas City, MO – In an 8 to 1 vote, North Kansas City council members passed an ordinance banning smoking in all bars and restaurants, with the exception of casino gaming floors. Council member Dolores Curry says she believes the ban is in the best interest of the city.
Curry: It's for people's health and children's health and I think we need to work towards that to try to make it a better place for people to live.
But North Kansas City Business owner Marc McNelly was at meeting and says many local business owners oppose the measure.
McNelly: We're not just going to stand back, we're going to try to fight it.
The ban is now scheduled to take effect within 60 days.
Funding for health care coverage on KCUR has been provided by the Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City.
Download recent health stories or subscribe to the KCUR Health Podcast