Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Sat February 18, 2012
New Songs From Leonard Cohen's 'Old Ideas'
Cohen is perhaps best known for his stirring lyrics, which tell stories with equal amounts of irony and romance. On "Old Ideas," Cohen once again delves into the mental and physical lives of humans and their relationships, but makes use of a more varied, less electronic sound than on his other late albums.
The title may have a dual meaning, indicating the through-line in Cohen's long-evolving style, as well as the influence age and experience have had on his art.
This marks Cohen's 12th album release over the past six decades. In this week's episode, Bill Shapiro reviews songs from "Old Ideas" alongside several from "Songs from the Road," released in 2010. You can sample this week's playlist in the videos below, via YouTube.
"Going Home" from Old Ideas
"Famous Blue Raincoat" from Songs from the Road
"Show Me the Place" from Old Ideas
"That Don’t Make It Junk" from Songs from the Road
"Amen" from Old Ideas
"Chelsea Hotel" from Songs from the Road
"Banjo" from Old Ideas
"Hallelujah" from Songs from the Road
"Different Sides" from Old Ideas
Fresh Air Weekend