Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Fri May 15, 2009
New KC Zoning Plan In The Works
Kansas City, MO – The city council was confronted with a 362-page ordinance yesterday - one that would change the zoning laws of the entire city.
Planning and Zoning chair Terry Riley said the massive document will update zoning provisions that date back as far as the 1930s, focus more on mixed-use development and make it easier for businesses to negotiate the zoning maze.
City Planning and Development Director Tom Coyle reassured the council, "If you were zoned residential before the update, you will be zoned residential after."
And he and Riley urged the council to pass the new plan.
But several members wanted more time to figure out exactly what it means in their districts. The council voted to hold the vote for two weeks.