Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Wed May 22, 2013
The New Domesticity
Sales of home canning supplies have risen 35 percent in the past 3 years. Between 2004 and 2008 home birth rates have increased 20 percent with a 94% increase among white women. There is a growing number of 20 and 30 something's who are spending their time knitting, canning food, gardening… raising chickens, bees, and their children using labor intensive do it yourself approaches to complete domestic tasks.
Techniques previous generations shrugged off as extraneous. Emily Matcher help us understand the "new domesticity and neo- and urban homesteading." A movement that’s bringing together Mormon moms, radical queers, conservatives, rural poor, urban rich and more.
We explore how this ‘new domesticity’ is connected to the political, economic and ecological climate of our modern era.