Most Active Stories
- Portraits And Party Scenes From Kansas City's Drag Ball Culture Revealed
- Blue Valley High Lost A 'Star In The Making'
- Music In The '90s: Was There A 'KC Sound'?
- Preschool Trauma Program In Kansas City Getting National Attention
- Kansas City Grocer's Hand-Painted Signs Are A Lost Art In The Modern Age
Mon July 9, 2007
New American Jazz Museum Director
The new executive director of the American Jazz Museum settled in to his office last week. Greg Carroll is a percussionist and a longtime jazz educator who most recently served as director of education for the International Association for Jazz Education, one of world's premier jazz organizations.
By Lee Ingalls
Kansas City, MO – Greg Carroll sat down with KCUR's Lee Ingalls in his new office last week to talk about his new gig and what lies ahead for the American Jazz Museum. Carroll says he was first inspired to play the vibes as a young man growing up in Denver, when he heard legendary vibraphonist Lionel Hampton on the radio playing this song: Air Mail Special.
KCUR's Sylvia Maria Gross followed up with a conversation on cultural tourism and the 18th and Vine district with Anita Dixon of the Cultural Convention and Visitors Services.