Most Active Stories
- What Would A Sprint, T-Mobile Merger Mean For Kansas City?
- Missouri Creates Unique Medical Classification: Assistant Physician
- Food Critics: Where To Find The Best Slice Of Pizza In Kansas City
- Food Critics: The Best Happy Hour In Kansas City
- Here's What You Need To Know About KCPS-Academie Lafayette Plan
Mon August 17, 2009
NCLR President Janet Murguia Reacts To Sotomayor Swearing-In
Kansas City, MO – Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor was sworn in last weekend, and on Wednesday, August 12, President Barack Obama hosted a reception for her in the East Room of the White House. As the head of the country' largest Latino civil rights organization, National Council of La Raza President Janet Murguia was there. Murguia is from Kansas City Kansas, originally, and used to be Vice Chancellor of the University of Kansas.
Just after the reception, Murguia came back to Kansas City, to visit family. KCUR's Sylvia Maria Gross caught up with her at her brother's house in the Argentine, and asked what it's been like to witness this historic appointment first-hand, and about the future of the phrase, "wise latina."