Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Mon August 17, 2009
NCLR President Janet Murguia Reacts To Sotomayor Swearing-In
Kansas City, MO – Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor was sworn in last weekend, and on Wednesday, August 12, President Barack Obama hosted a reception for her in the East Room of the White House. As the head of the country' largest Latino civil rights organization, National Council of La Raza President Janet Murguia was there. Murguia is from Kansas City Kansas, originally, and used to be Vice Chancellor of the University of Kansas.
Just after the reception, Murguia came back to Kansas City, to visit family. KCUR's Sylvia Maria Gross caught up with her at her brother's house in the Argentine, and asked what it's been like to witness this historic appointment first-hand, and about the future of the phrase, "wise latina."