Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Fri June 20, 2008
National Magazine About Race Launches in Kansas City
By Sylvia Maria Gross
Kansas City, MO – This morning, a new magazine about race debuts in the Kansas City Star, and eleven other newspapers across the country. Rise Up is the brainchild of Janice Ellis, the former mayoral candidate who headed the non-profit Partnership for Children.
Ellis enlisted the help of former Kansas City Star publisher Art Brisbane, and as managing editor, hired Doug Worgul, who used to edit the Star Magazine. Rise Up launches this weekend with a circulation of about 4.5 million. It'll be in the Washington Post, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Chicago Tribune and papers in Los Angeles, Atlanta and New York.