Movie Critics: What You Should See Right Now
The Thanksgiving movie releases have provided us with a cornucopia of cinematic offerings to choose from. Do we have a lot to be thankful for or have we been served up a batch of celluloid turkeys?
On Friday's Central Standard, Russ Simmons and fellow movie critics, Marie Asner and Tom Poe, check out the current crop from Hollywood and abroad and let you know what's worth your time and money.
They'll also take a look at what’s right for the family audience and what fare is for adults only.
Movie Reviews (Out of 5 Stars)
- The Best Man Holiday, 3 Stars
- Blue is the Warmest Color, 4 Stars
- God Loves Uganda, 3 Stars
- Dallas Buyers Club, 4 Stars
- Delivery Man, 2.5 Stars
- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, 4 Stars
- Kill Your Darlings, 3.5 Stars
- Muscle Shoals, 3 Stars
- Black Nativity, 3 Stars
- The Book Thief, 2.5 Stars
- Frozen, 4 Stars
- Homefront, 2 Stars
- Nebraska, 4 Stars
- Old Boy, 2 Stars
- Philomena, 4 Stars
- I Am Divine, 3 Stars
- Out of the Furnace, 2.5 Stars
- Scarface (1932) - Saturday, December 7th at 1:30pm at the Central Library
The Kansas City Public Library is screening this classic 1932 gangster flick. It’s part of the “Muni the Magnificent” series of films starring Oscar-winner Paul Muni, one of the most acclaimed actors of Hollywood’s golden era. Stay tuned for other Muni favorites include “I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang,” “The Story of Louis Pasteur,” and “The Life of Emile Zola.”
- 1939: Hollywood's Greatest Year - Sunday, December 29th at 2:00pm at the Plaza Library
Gone With the Wind. The Wizard of Oz. Stagecoach. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Wuthering Heights. Hollywood’s greatest year was 1939, with more memorable movies released than at any other time. Each week throughout 2014, the Library will screen one film from that year: Westerns, musicals, dramas, romances – even titles from the long-running Tarzan, Sherlock Holmes, and Andy Hardy series.
- White Christmas -December 10th and 12th at 7:00pm at B&B Theatres
- National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - December 8th and 11th at the Cinemark
- It's A Wonderful Life - December 15th, 18th, and 24th at the Cinemark
- Elf - December 10th and 17th at the Alamo Drafthouse
- Bad Santa - December 11th at 7:00pm at the Alamo Drafthouse
- Home Alone - December 16th at 7:15pm at the Alamo Drafthouse
If you're in the holiday spirit, there are tons of Christmas favorites on the big screen this time of year.