Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Central Standard Friday
Fri June 21, 2013
Movie Critics: The Best Movies Out In June
For years, it seems like Hollywood has been remaking the same films over and over and over again. Have they run out of original ideas? Or is it the movie theaters and the audiences themselves who keep paying for the same movie every summer?
Our movie critics Russ Simmons, Thom Poe, Loey Lockerby, and special guest Justin Scott, director of marketing for Standees theater, talk about the problem of putting all your eggs in one basket, as well as the new and unique movies that Hollywood is making.
Opened May 31:
- After Earth (PG-13): 2.5 out of 5 stars
- Now You See Me (PG-13) 3 out of 5 stars
Opened June 7:
- The Purge (R): 2 out of 5 stars
- The Internships: 3 out of 5 stars
Opened June 12:
- This Is The End (R): 3 out of 5 stars
Opened June 14:
- Man of Steel (PG-13): 3 out of 5 stars
- The East (PG-13): 4 out of 5 stars
- Before Midnight (R): 5 out of 5 stars
- Stories We Tell (PG-13): 4 out of 5 stars
Opened June 21:
- Mobsters University: 4 out of 5 Stars
- World War Z: 3 out of 5 Stars
- The Bling Ring: 3 out of 5 Stars
- Much Ado About Nothing: 4 out of 5 Stars
Events and Announcements:
GATHR independent film series at the Glenwood Arts
Thursday. June 27th at 7:30pm BROKEN (Unrated) ONE SHOW ONLY.
Part of the proceeds will benefit the Kansas International Film Festival this Oct. 4-10th, 2013.
UMKC Department of Film’s Summer Musical Series at the Tivoli
June 25th: FUNNY GIRL
July 2nd: SWING TIME
July 9th: WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
KC Public Library’s “Off the Wall Film Series”
Features KC native Paul Rudd in OUR IDIOT BROTHER (R), a comedy about a loveable slacker. Friday, June 21st, 8:45pm at the KC Central Library, Downtown.
Up to Date