Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Tue September 16, 2008
Mo. Mayors Cooperate For Jeff City Clout
Kansas City, MO – Kansas City Mayor Mark Funkhouser first proposed the idea of combining the lobbying efforts of St. Louis, Kansas City, Springfield, St. Joseph, Joplin and Jefferson City. And he says yesterday's first meeting was an unquestionable success that resulted in a unified agenda.
"We identified three broad areas that we wanted to work together on - preservation of local control of local issues by city governments and not preempted by the state, work force development including education and early child care, and the third is transit."
Funkhouser says the mayors will meet again in about a month after city staffs have been able to draft more specifics on the three areas of combined effort. Steve Bell, KCUR news.