Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Wed July 9, 2008
Missouri Republican Gubernatorial Debate
Kansas City, MO – During a June gubernatorial primary debate in the Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri State Treasurer Sarah Steelman labeled her Republican opponent, U.S. Representative Kenny Hulshof, as a Washington D.C. insider. Hulshof struck back by suggesting that Steelman didn't understand how bills get passed in Congress.
Such is the tone of the late-starting campaign - one Missouri Republicans didn't expect to run until current Governor Matt Blunt announced that he wouldn't seek a second term as the state's chief executive. But now that the field is wide open, both Steelman and Hulshof are vying for their party's nomination to face Democratic candidate and current Missouri Attorney General Jay Nixon in the November election.
KCUR welcomed both candidates to debate the issues, rate Governor Blunt's job in office, and tell voters why they deserve their party's nomination in the August primary.