Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Wed April 4, 2012
The Middle Of The Map Fest Is Blowing Up
On this Wednesday's Central Standard, learn about a SXSW-style festival in our own backyard. Hear why the Middle of the Map Festival is drawing exponentially more bands, more people & more attention in its second year.
Festival organizers Chris Haghirian and Nathan Reusch join us to share what's changed this year and how the fest is shaping up to be a major player on the festival circuit.
The event, presented by Ink Magazine and curated by local record label The Record Machine, will host over 100 bands on 11 stages, with acts from all over, such as Mission of Burma, Neon Indian, Soft Reeds, Mates of State, Sleepy Kitty, Cowboy Indian Bear, Capybara, The Grisly Hand, and The Beautiful Bodies. Honestly, we dare you to find a celebrated local band who isn't in this festival.
In addition to pleasing audiophiles, Middle of the Map is stretching its scope to include The Forum, which is "made up of thought and culture leaders exploring, translating and synthesizing participant’s conversations on a spectrum of topics." In addition to discussions and lectures on topics ranging from agriculture to innovation, there will film and animation screenings over at Screenland in the Crossroads.
AS HEARD ON TODAY’S PROGRAM:
- "Neighbor Crimes" by Capybara from their 2012 album Dave Drusky
- "Get Better" by Mates of State from their 2008 album Re-arrange Us
- "Foxglove" by Murder By Death from their 2010 album Good Morning, Magpie
- "True Loves" by Hooray For Earth from their 2011 album True Loves
Then, later in the hour --
We speak with Elaine Smith, a Master Tax Adviser and Enrolled Agent at H&R Block about your last minute taxing tax questions, as well as how to file for an extension.