Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Tue June 22, 2010
Mexico and Africa: Not So Distant Relatives
A recent exhibit shows Africa's cultural influence in Mexico.
By Susan B. Wilson
Kansas City, MO – Although Africa and Mexico are separated by an ocean and language, a recent exhibit shows the two countries have more in common.
The American Jazz Museum hosted an event that shattered the misconception that Africa and Mexico have no cultural similarities. The event was called The Atlantic Diaspora: Musical and Social Influences of Africans in Mexico and the United States.
A photographic exhibition, concert and panel discussion were designed to help all who gathered discover the connection between Africa and Mexico.
Atlantic Diaspora will be on display at in the Changing Gallery at the American Jazz Museum through September 23, 2010. There will be a series of events throughout the summer about the African-Mexican connection.