Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Mon May 24, 2010
McPherson Opera House Gets A Makeover
A 122-year-old opera house in McPherson, KS was saved from destruction. Recently restored, the town's opera house lives to see another curtain rise. KPR's Shelley Schlender reports.
By Shelley Schlender/KPR
McPherson, KS – Around the turn of the 20th century, opera houses were like sparkling jewels on the Kansas Prairie. One of the finest was an elegant, three-story structure in the central Kansas town of McPherson.
However, as the years went on, it fell into disrepair. By the 1980s, it was slated to be torn-down and turned into a parking lot.
That's when a small group stepped forward, and rallied to save and restore the building. Recently, the town of 14,000 celebrated a grand re-opening at the opera house. From McPherson, Shelley Schlender reports.