Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon May 24, 2010
McPherson Opera House Gets A Makeover
A 122-year-old opera house in McPherson, KS was saved from destruction. Recently restored, the town's opera house lives to see another curtain rise. KPR's Shelley Schlender reports.
By Shelley Schlender/KPR
McPherson, KS – Around the turn of the 20th century, opera houses were like sparkling jewels on the Kansas Prairie. One of the finest was an elegant, three-story structure in the central Kansas town of McPherson.
However, as the years went on, it fell into disrepair. By the 1980s, it was slated to be torn-down and turned into a parking lot.
That's when a small group stepped forward, and rallied to save and restore the building. Recently, the town of 14,000 celebrated a grand re-opening at the opera house. From McPherson, Shelley Schlender reports.