Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Tue August 11, 2009
McCaskill Hosts Health Forums In SE Missouri
Poplar Bluff, MO – Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill held three "listening forums" in Missouri's Bootheel yesterday. Stopping in Kennett, Hayti, and Poplar Bluff, she fielded questions related to health care reform. KRCU's Jacob McCleland has more.
While many in attendance at the Kennett forum were skeptical of federal plans to reform health care, the atmosphere was cordial and never confrontational. Senator McCaskill devoted most of her time detailing how to fund the plan. She also spent considerable effort dispelling fears about end-of-life care and a socialized health care system.
McCaskill stressed that the Senate bill would fulfill one of President Obama's campaign promises to offer the same coverage granted to federal employees to all Americans.
MCCASKILL: "I know that all federal employees and state employees have choices between various providers and plans. And that's really what we're talking about if there's a public option."
McCaskill's listening forums in Kennett and Poplar Bluff were open to the general public. In Hayti she spoke with area health care providers.