Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Sat December 19, 2009
Massive Clinic Treats Area Uninsured
Kansas City, MO –
Last year almost a quarter million people in the Kansas City area didn't have health insurance. Sherri Wood, director of the Kansas City Free Health Clinic and President of the National Association of Free Clinics (NAFC), equates that magnitude to a Chief's Football Sunday.
"Think about Arrowhead Stadium, and then think about three Arrowheads. And that's the number of uninsured in our community," Wood said. "That's a huge number."
And when NAFC offered treatment to people at a massive two day event in downtown Kansas City last week, it drew a huge response. More than two thousand people showed up, many of whom hadn't seen a doctor in years. KCUR's Elana Gordon stopped by and brought back this report.
Transcript soon to be posted.
Funding for health care coverage on KCUR has been provided by the Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City.
Download recent health stories or subscribe to the KCUR Health Podcast.