Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- Koch Funding On Campus Raises Questions At University Of Kansas
Tue August 20, 2013
Leaked UN Report Increases Certainty On Climate Change
In a leaked climate report, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) — a United Nations scientific body that makes definitive assessments on climate change — has determined with 95 percent certainty that humans are responsible for global warming.
The report also increased its estimate for sea level rise, as a result of the warming planet.
The final report is due to come out in September. A draft was leaked over the weekend.
- William Moomaw, professor of international environmental policy at The Fletcher School, Tufts University.
New York Times “At the other extreme, the report considers a chain of events in which emissions continue to increase at a swift pace. Under those conditions, sea level could be expected to rise at least 21 inches by 2100 and might increase a bit more than three feet, the draft report said.”
BBC “The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has warned against drawing too many conclusions from the latest leaked version of its upcoming, and eagerly awaited Assessment Report 5 (AR5)”