Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Tue February 7, 2006
Lawmakers Look to Spare Funerals from Fred Phelps
By Frank Morris
Kansas City, MO – As final preparations are made for funeral services for Coretta Scott-King in Atlanta, police there are bracing for some unwelcome guests from Topeka.
Fred Phelps, and his Westboro Baptist Church has long exploited such public events for their virulent, anti-gay demonstrations. Law makers in more than a dozen state capitols are taking steps to neutralize the protests, but the controversial preacher argues that would take away his First Amendment rights. KCUR'S Frank Morris reports.
This story first aired in February, 2006.