Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Wed September 12, 2012
Late For The Parade
Well, I blew it today on the job.
I was going to get an audio postcard and some great photos as the circus came to town.
Sadly, when I got downtown where the parade was to begin, all I saw was the short train, the recognizable "Greatest Show On Earth" insignia on each car. The doors were wide open, obviously empty. No animals. No giddy kids.
I'd missed the parade by several hours.
But I did meet one friendly circus worker who was pitching hay from the rail cars that had carried the elephants, bears and lions to Kansas City.
He wanted me to identify him only as Ilyia, from Russia.
I said, “Where are the animals? The parade?”
He told me the animals were, by now, in “other building,” swiping the air several times toward the east, “over there.” He made an elliptical shape with his large hands.
“The Sprint Center,” I said.
“Yes, yes, yes, Sprint Center,” he said.