Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon August 13, 2012
A Lasting Legacy In Pomona, Calif.
Originally published on Tue August 14, 2012 11:33 am
Dr. Jamie Lynn Garcia was a tireless champion for the poor, devoting her life to healthcare for all.
In 2002, she founded the two-room Pomona Free Clinic. Her community needed more. She spent the next 10 years building and staffing an expanded clinic.
In 2010 she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She continued to work through her chemotherapy.
On July 9, 2012, her expanded Pomona Community Health Center opened, ready to serve thousands of homeless and uninsured residents. That same day, Jamie learned her cancer had spread. She died on July 27, leaving a lasting legacy of good works.