Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Wed July 11, 2012
The Last Word In Business
Originally published on Wed July 11, 2012 5:57 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
The ownership of American pro sports got just a little more international. That's our last word in business today.
Pro basketball's Brooklyn Nets, formerly the New Jersey Nets, are owned by a Russian businessman. An Indonesian media owner possesses part of the Philadelphia 76ers. And now, that same Indonesian man is among the new investors in D.C. United, the pro soccer team. His name is Erick Thohir.
D.C. United is looking to turn around after years of losses. They want to build a soccer-specific stadium, and hopefully they'll give Mr. Thohir something to root for. Indonesia's national soccer team has only been to the World Cup one-time - in 1938.
That's the business news on MORNING EDITION from NPR News. I'm Steve Inskeep.
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
And I'm Renee Montagne.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC) Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.