KANSAS CITY, MO –
KCUR Morning Headlines (3 min 17 sec)
- Johnson County lawmakers are voicing strong opposition to a special-education funding bill that they say discriminates against large, urban school districts.
- Kansas City school district residents will vote for two new school board members next week, but the results of that election might not be valid.
- The Kansas City Council is scheduled to vote today on adding gender identity to its nondiscrimination ordinance.
- A Kansas City woman has filed a federal suit to stop the relocation of four cemeteries near the airport. The Kansas City star reports Oralee Watkins is seeking to prevent irreparable harm to the 19th century pioneer and slave graves on city owned property.
- An overnight fire has destroyed at least two buildings in downtown Excelsior Springs.
- The Kansas House and Senate have reached an agreement on an immigration bill. It was revised to address concerns by sheriffs that is could fill jails with illegal immigrants cost the counties more money.