Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Mon May 22, 2006
KC Mother Brings Cosby to Town
By Delores Jones
Kansas City, Missouri – Mandy Brown felt her 14-year old daughter's murder was a senseless act of violence. In the intervening 25 years, she has become increasingly concerned about the lack of responsibility and self-respect among black youth.
So when she heard Bill Cosby was sponsoring town hall meetings, called "Call Out's," in which he brought counselors and other experts together with community members, she started trying to get Cosby's people to bring a "Call Out" to Kansas City.
After 7 months ,the responded,and on Tuesday, May 23rd, 2006, Bill Cosby will host a "Call Out" from Metropolitan Community College-Penn Valley at 7 P.M.
Several members of the community will share their individual stories of overcoming adversity (including our own Delores Jones,) and Mandy Brown will have her picture taken with Mr. Cosby! (Having a photo with Mr. Cosby was one of her first requets .)
Mr. Cosby will field questions facilitate a discussion on issues of health, education, and social responsibility.