Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- Finding Kansas City's Hidden Food Gems
Sun April 29, 2007
KC-MO School District Reorganization
By Sylvia Maria Gross
Kansas City, MO – The Kansas City Missouri school board approved a major reorganization of the district's schools this week. Past proposals for consolidation are thought to have cost Bernard Taylor, the previous superintendent, his job. But the board selected Superintendent Anthony Amato on the basis of his bold ideas, and most of the board signed on to his vision for the city's public schools.
Starting in the fall, the district will implement universal pre-kindergarten, and most middle schools will be phased out in favor of a kindergarten to eighth grade configuration. KCUR's Sylvia Maria Gross reports that some board members and community leaders still have reservations about the plan.
This story was produced for KC Currents.