Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Contentious Views Dominate Female Bishop's Tenure
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
Wed July 27, 2011
KC Leads Nation in Fast Food Consumption
By Bryan Thompson, Kansas Public Radio
SALINA, Ks. – A website devoted to personal finance and business says few Americans eat more fast food than people who live in Wichita and Kansas City. Bryan Thompson has more on how the numbers were "crunched."
Bundle.com reviewed fast food sales in America's 100 largest cities. They included spending at eight of the nation's largest fast food chains.
The results indicate that households in Wichita buy food at these restaurants 50 percent more often than the national average. What's more, they spend almost double the national average on fast food. That's enough to make Wichita number three on the fast food consumption list.
Kansas City comes in at number six.
A 15 year study of more than 3,000 Americans found strong indications that fast food increases the risk of obesity and type II diabetes.