Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Wed June 1, 2011
Kauffman Center's Opening Approaches; Checking in with Architect Moshe Safdie
It's three months until the $413 million Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Kansas City, Missouri opens to the public. When architect Moshe Safdie revealed his designs about a decade ago, it was the largest project of his career. But, Safdie now has offices in Toronto, Boston, and Singapore, and the Safdie-designed $5.5 billion Marina Bay Sands project in Singapore opened earlier this year.
By Laura Spencer
Kansas City, Mo. – The architect stopped by the Kauffman Center last week to check lighting, construction, and listen to a Kansas City Symphony rehearsal in Helzberg Hall. Safdie told KCUR's Laura Spencer there's an intensity to this stage of the project as the deadline approaches.
The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts opens September 16, 2011.