Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Fri October 26, 2012
Kansas Democrats Unveil 'Buy American' Proposal
Democratic leaders from the Kansas Legislature have laid out a proposal that they say will create jobs. The lawmakers unveiled the plan during a series of stops in union halls across Kansas.
The proposal would create a "buy American" rule for state government. That means when state agencies are making purchases, they would have to look for products from American manufacturers.
Senate Minority Leader Anthony Hensley and House Minority Leader Paul Davis announced the plan, saying it would create new manufacturing jobs.
Democrats and Republicans have sparred in the Legislature over job creation. Republicans pushed a massive income tax cutting plan passed this year, saying it will create jobs and economic growth in Kansas.
Opponents of the tax plan say it will lead to budget problems and cuts to state services.