Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Sun August 7, 2005
Kansas City's Sudanese Community Mourns Vice President John Garang
By Sylvia Maria Gross
August 8, 2005 – On Saturday, the people of the Sudan buried rebel hero and Vice President John Garang, who died in a helicopter crash last weekend. And with his body, many Sudanese fear that their hopes for ending the country's violence might be buried with him. About a thousand of the refugees from the Sudan's 22-year civil war now live here in Kansas City, including Garang's niece Rebecca de Mabior. KCUR's Sylvia Maria Gross attended a memorial service yesterday at the Sudanese Community Church in the Northeast neighborhood.