Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Fri November 8, 2013
Kansas City Streetcar Phase II: East, South Or Both?
Plans for Phase II of a streetcar system roll on. And though where the second stretch of track will be laid is not decided yet, the choices are narrowing.
The report the city council heard Thursday recommends one or more extensions of streetcar line, with the highest scores for routes south on Main to 51st Street, east on Linwood or 31st Street for several miles and/or east on Independence Avenue to Benton. Those selections rated highest on a combination of factors including potential economic development.
Mayor Sly James told the council the yet unbuilt Phase I is already paying off in that respect with 33 projects started or planned and more to be announced soon.
Among other factors included in the scoring were potential ridership and availability of funding.
The council will vote on gathering further data in two weeks.