Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Wed September 1, 2010
Juliàn Zugazagoitia Takes Helm At Nelson-Atkins Museum Of Art
September 1, 2010 marks the first day on the job for the new director of the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Juliàn Zugazagoitia.
Kansas City, MO – In the spring, after a more than year-long search, a committee of nine museum trustees announced selecting international scholar, museum director and consultant Juliàn Zugazagoitia (HOO-lian SZU-ga-sa-GOY-tee-ah) as the fifth director in the museum's 75-year history. They touted his "energy as a leader, his passion for the arts, and his international background."
Zugazagoitia was born in Mexico City, educated in France, speaks six languages, and has worked in the Americas, Europe and Africa. He says he "looks forward to being a part of the synergy between the arts, science and business institutions in Kansas City."
Marc Wilson, the museum's director for the past 28 years, retired in June after overseeing the Bloch Building expansion, a renovated sculpture park, and new galleries, including American and American Indian art.
Download recent arts stories or subscribe to the KCUR Arts Podcast