Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Tue April 10, 2007
Jazz Vocalist Speaks at his Alma Mater in KC
Jazz vocalist Kevin Mahogany spoke and sang at Lincoln College Preparatory Academy.
In September, the Spencer Art Museum in Lawrence will host a traveling retrospective of Topeka-born artist Aaron Douglas. Douglas taught at Lincoln High School in Kansas City before becoming a major figure in the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s. The Euphrates Gallery is organizing some of the events surrounding the visit, and has invited jazz singer Kevin Mahogany, another native who made it big in New York, to be the honorary chair. Mahogany recently came into town to visit Lincoln College Preparatory Academy, his alma mater. KCUR's Alex Smith recorded his conversation, and performance with the students.
This story was produced for KC Currents.