Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Mon January 6, 2014
Jayhawks Lose To San Diego, Breaking Home Nonconference Streak
In college basketball, the Kansas Jayhawks lost 61-57 against San Deigo State, after 68 straight home wins against non-conference opponents.
San Diego State, ranked 21st in the AP poll, knocked off the 16th ranked Jayhawks, at home Sunday afternoon.
The last non-conference team to beat the Kansas Jayhawks at Allen Fieldhouse was Oral Roberts in November of 2006, the early stage of a season during which KU ended up only one victory shy of reaching the Final Four.
Sunday's game against San Diego State served as the final tune-up before the Jayhawks embark on their Big 12 schedule, and Jayhawks coach Bill Self says the Jayhawks have some work to do if they hope to win their tenth straight Big 12 championship.
“You know we haven’t played great by any stretch, but we’ve hung in there against some good teams, which in some ways that’s a positive,” said Self, “but we’ve just haven’t closed very well.”
San Diego State led by six at halftime and didn’t allow the Jayhawks to grab a lead in the second half. The Jayhawks are 9-4 heading into their first Big 12 game at Oklahoma on Wednesday night.