Most Active Stories
- The Story Behind The Giant Fiberglass Penguin At Kansas City's Penguin Park
- The Types Of Things Lurking Underground In Kansas City's Caves
- Missouri’s E-Cigarette Veto Override May Lead To Showdown With FDA
- FBI And State Auditor Investigating St. Joseph School District
- Finalists Selected, Design Process Starts For UMKC's Proposed Downtown Arts Campus
Fri June 27, 2014
Jayhawk Makes Top NBA Draft Pick
For the first time since 1988, a member of the Kansas Jayhawks basketball team was the overall No. 1 pick in the NBA draft.
The Cleveland Cavaliers selected Andrew Wiggins Thursday night with that top pick. Teammate Joel Embiid went third overall to the Philadelphia 76ers.
Though some feel Wiggins disappeared in KU’s last game of the season against Stanford in the NCAA tournament, he was clearly visible when NBA commissioner Adam Silver announced him as the top pick.
Wiggins, dressed in a black-and-white floral tuxedo jacket, then walked to the stage at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., with a beaming smile. He was the first overall pick from KU since Danny Manning.
In the second round, University of Missouri point guard Jordan Clarkson was chosen by the Washington Wizards, then traded to the Los Angeles Lakers.
Also, Cleanthony Early of Wichita State University was taken in the second round by the New York Knicks.