Thu May 19, 2011
It's "Air" Time, Baby!
When you work on a radio talk show and you’re waiting for your guests, who have names such as Romeo DanceCheetah (That’s one word: DanceCheetah) and Björn Türoque (Pronounced Born to rock), and they are renowned air guitarists in town for a regional air guitar contest, you discover 10 things:
- You’re starting off your day really, really well!
- You’re preparing for the best show in the history of radio!
- Your career in journalism, media and platform agnostic multi-media has reached heights that you will never reach again.
- You have to do the show on streaming video just for the “airiness” of it all. How can those guys shred on the radio when you can’t see them?
- That to “air” is truly human but to rock out with an invisible instrument is divine.
- That your makeshift set in your radio studio that you’re using for the video presentation looks like a Dental office waiting room circa 1971 or the high school reunion from the class of ’71 that you may be later attending.
- That America is a great place, I mean seriously, the U.S. Air Guitar Championship? That’s awesome.
- That a guy named Craig Billmeier can call himself Hot Lixx Hulahan without Hulahan even being a family name. Why? Because he can, that’s why.
- That it is a true testament to freedom of the press and expression and greatness of the country you live in when you can redirect listeners to a video about air guitar contests while President Obama gives his foreign policy speech.
- That it’s more fun if you take things such as air guitar-ing seriously and lighten up on everything else.
And in a bonus item, you get to say stuff like, it’s “air time baby.” We’re not talking about Not an air-powered instrument, not an oxygen based piece of hardware but nothing, fingers and body moving to music.