Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Mon January 4, 2010
Incoming KCK Superintendent Cynthia Lane
Kansas City, MO – The Kansas City Kansas school board recently selected a new superintendent by unanimous vote. They decided to promote from within the district, and chose Assistant Superintendent for Instruction and Business Cynthia Lane. The current superintendent, Jill Shackleford, will retire in July.
Over the years, KCK schools have received national attention for their success in educating low-income students of color. US News and World Report recently listed Sumner Academy, in particular, on its list of the top 100 high schools in the country. But this year, the district will face steep budget cuts that could undermine student success.
Incoming superintendent Cynthia Lane recently dropped by the studio to talk to KCUR's Susan B. Wilson about the challenges ahead.